Poached egg and mushrooms on toast with thyme is full of flavours, not only is it quick and easy to make, it is ideal for breakfast or lunch all year round. You can also home grow the vegetables and herbs in this dish just like we did. This recipe is for one person and takes around 15 minutes to make.
1 large free range egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sliced toasted bread
Fresh finely chopped thyme leaves
100g chestnut mushroom, sliced
Season of salt and pepper
50g tomatoes (optional)
1 tablespoon vinegar
For the poached egg;
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add the vinegar and bring to a simmer,
- Stir the water gently to create a whirlpool, crack the egg into the centre off this and cook for around 2-4 minutes.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on some kitchen paper to dry off.
For the mushrooms;
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil over medium heat,
- Add in the mushrooms (if adding tomatoes add these in too). Season with salt and pepper.
- Tossing occasionally until the mushrooms are golden brown. Cook for around 5-7 minutes.
- On toasted bread place the mushroom and tomatoes on top adding the egg carefully. Dress with some finely chopped thyme. For extra flavour why not add some mozzarella.
Looking for a new hob to kick start your cooking – The Whirlpool AKR311/IX Stainless steel gas hob is only £122.00 at EAW. It has 4 burners with front easy grip mechanical controls, auto ignite and flame failure protection ensuring you cook at ease. With cast iron pan supports your cooking has more stability. This hob has 2 years guarantee.
Alternatively the Montpellier INT600 Induction hob is available for £155.00, this is the perfect edition to your kitchen if your looking for a 4 zone hob with a stylish design and heats the contents of your pan up quickly. The induction technology means the pan* is heated directly rather than wasting energy heating the cooking surface.