Spider season is creeping up. It seems each year the spider season is getting longer, and the beasts are getting bigger. This is not good for arachnophobia.
Spider season usually occurs at the start of September when the male common house spiders are on the hunt of a mate. Around 80% of the spiders we see in our homes are male. Our homes are the ideal habitat for spiders.
The good news is that these spiders are harmless to humans. They like to kill other insects around our homes which makes make them on our side. However this doesn’t stop us from not wanting to share a home with the arachnids.
How to stop spiders from entering your home
- Eliminate clutter – Spiders like to hide under piles of clothes or any heaps of clutter around the house by keeping clutter to a minimal you are helping to eliminate spiders. Plastic storage boxes instead of cardboard boxes are harder for spiders to crawl into.
- Vacuum Often – By vacuuming often you are getting rid of any excess dirt and dust. Spiders love to create webs, vacuum behind furniture and underneath beds, chairs etc.
- Stop them from entering your home – As it’s summertime we enjoy having the windows open, which invites the spiders in which can’t be helped but there is deterrents for this. Check your foundations of your home to make sure there is no seal problems or cracks. Keep scrubs and trees from touching your house exterior.
- Eucalyptus tree – The Eucalyptus tree acts as a natural insect and spider repellent as it has a strong smell that they do not like.
How to get rid of spiders from your home using natural deterrents
- Placing conkers in corners of rooms are said to be help get rid of spiders, as conkers contain a noxious chemical.
- Spiders don’t like peppermint oil or vinegar, by creating a solution of these two combined mixed with water you can spray on windowsills or entry points around the house. ½ cup of white vinegar, 1 ½ cup of water with 10-15 drops of peppermint oil.
- Spiders also apparently hate citrus smells, such as lemons oranges and grapefruits. Rub citrus onto skirting boards and windowsills. Burn citronella candles around your house.
For our latest deals and new appliances check out our website: www.eawuk.com