Valentine’s Day is almost upon us again and for those who are inclined for a little romance that day we’ve got the perfect recipes to treat your loved one to a wonderful morning.
Whole Wheat Heart Pancakes
Slightly more indulgent than your average pancakes but aren’t they worth it.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 200g white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 240 ml milk
- 120 ml full fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings-strawberries, butter, and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a another bowl, combine the wet ingredients; milk, yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined using a wooden spoon, the texture should be like single cream.
- Heat a frying pan to medium low heat. Coat with cooking spray or butter if you prefer. Spray the inside of a heart shaped cookie cutter with cooking spray. Place the cookie cutter on the pan and fill with about 60ml of the pancake batter.
- Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove cookie cutter and flip carefully with a spatula. Cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Continue making pancakes until the batter is gone, you can keep pancakes warm by placing in a warm oven while you make the rest.
- Serve pancakes warm with strawberries, butter, and maple syrup, if desired.
If you don’t have a heart shaped cookie cutter, you can pipe the pancake batter into heart shapes using a squirty bottle.
Double Cheese Bacon Grilled Sandwich
Not all of us are in to classic romantic fare of oysters, strawberries and champagne, some of us just want a bacon sandwich that says I love you. Treat yourself and your partner to the ultimate bacon sarnie with the addition of two types of cheese and red onion.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 4 slices of bacon, buy the best you can
- 1/2 a medium red onion, sliced
- Cheddar cheese block, shave off 2 slices
- Mozzarella cheese, cut off 2 thick slices
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
The best way to make a grilled sandwich is to use a griddle pan to add smokiness to the food but if you don’t have one a frying pan will be fine.
- Heat pan for 5 minutes and then place bacon on the surface. Cook for a few minutes then turn over using tongs to cook the other side. You can also put pan under the grill to make the bacon extra crispy.
- Remove the bacon once cooked, then grill the sliced onion for 4 to 6 minutes till they are tender, browning and starting to char.
- To make sandwiches butter your bread and layer Cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, onion and mozzarella cheese between the slices. Place on the pan and cook for another 5 minutes and then place under the grill to warm the top. Your finished when the cheese has melted throughout.
- Serve sliced in two with your loved ones favourite sauces.