Struggling to find space in your freezer? Looking for extra storage? Chest freezers are ideal for this and come with many other pros. Chest Freezers have always been a best seller with EAW throughout the summer and winter months. Starting from as little as £135.00, we have a range of chest freezers available in store and online varying from as little as 51 Litre Capacity up to 621 Litres. Why not have a look at our list of pros and cons to help you decide whether a chest freezer is right for you and your family..
- Chest freezers are a great appliance for extra storage and have around 20% more usable space than an upright freezer.
- They are more efficient, keeping the cold air inside better. This helps to save on the energy bills.
- Chest freezers tend to be cheaper than upright freezers of the same capacity.
- Some chest freezers have freezer safe technology, meaning they can operate in temperatures down to -15°C, these ones can be kept in outbuildings such as garages and sheds.
- Has one large compartment, (opening from the top), allowing you to store large or bulky items.
- Comes with a lockable lid.
- Can require more bending over, especially if you are looking for something right at the bottom, which may not be suitable for everyone.
- You will need to defrost chest freezer around twice a year, which can take longer than a normal freezer to defrost.
- There are currently no frost-free versions available, only static.
- Items are not organised due to the one storage compartment, although most will some with 1 or more wire baskets too.
The Iceking slimline chest freezer can hold up to 51 litres. It comes with a single easy load basket, letting you stock your freezer without breaking your back. The lid is counterbalanced, so you can easily reach in for your food without having to hold the lid up-perfect for those with sensitive shoulders!
It is, as the name suggests, slim! You can squeeze it into tight kitchens with no problem. Or, if you prefer, you can keep this freezer in the garage or an out-building. Not all freezers are suitable for use outdoors as they can easily break in colder weather. 2 year guarantee, 85 (H) x 35.3 (W) x 63 (D) cm.
With a winter guard protection this chest freezer will run perfectly in temperatures as low as -15 degrees, making this ideal for chilly garages and outbuildings. With a 95 litre capacity, there’s plenty of room for 5 bags of food shopping. The efficient A+ energy is kind to the environment and your bills. 2 year guarantee, 84.5 (H) x 53 (W) x 55.7 (D),
Defrosting a Chest Freezer
Every time you open the freezer door you are letting warm air into the appliance; this condenses and freezers insides. Over time the built up of frost / ice will need clearing out. This can be quite a tedious task but one that needs to be done thoroughly.
- Transfer remaining food into a cooler full of ice, this will help the cooler stay cold for longer.
- Unplug the freezer and locate the drain plug and empty the drain plug by popping a pan / a bowl under it to catch any from the drain water.
- Open the freezer, wait for around 15-20 mins for the ice to start to soften.
- Fill some pans with some warm water, place them on the bottom of the freezer onto towels, the towels will also soak up any excess water*note do not pour hot water into your freezer*
- Scrap ice off the walls with a spatula.
- Use a cloth and soapy water to wipe of any stains.
- Once defrosted fully wipe any excess water up with a towel, make sure there is none left over otherwise it will freeze up again.