Apple and blackberry crumble is one of the nations favourites desserts. August and September is the best time for picking Blackberries. The best blackberries will stand out from the crowd, they will be shiner and firmer. Blackberries aren’t restricted to rural areas you will see them along many paths amongst the hedgerows.
Berry picking means autumn is approaching. The warm sweet aromas of apple and blackberry crumble cooking in the kitchen as the nights are drawing in and getting cooler.
The recipe below serves 4 people, it is easy to make and the cooking time is around 30-40 minutes.
115 g Blackberries
2 Bramley Apples – Sliced
½ Lemon Juiced
Caster Sugar 100g
2 Tbsp Demerara Sugar
¼ Tsp Cinnamon
Custard or Ice cream to Serve
For the crumble
Plain Flour 120g
Salted Bugger 60g
Golden Caster Sugar 60 g
- Pre-heat the oven on Gas Mark 5. In a medium saucepan, cook the sliced applies, blackberries, cinnamon and caster sugar and simmer until soft, add in the lemon juice.
- Taste before placing into a baking dish as more sugar may need to be added.
- Mix the flour, butter and sugar until they look like breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit and bake in oven for around 30 minutes.
- Serve with custard or ice-cream.
Now you have the perfect dessert, why not have the perfect oven to bake in?
The Whirlpool AKZ6230IX Built-In Oven in Stainless Steel has a 65 litre capacity and A+ energy rating. Featuring an electronic programmer with digital display and touch control buttons, multi-level cooking and pastry function which ensures the best results when baking. 6th Sense technology offers 30 pre-set frequently cooked recipes developed in collaboration with chefs. Simply select a dish and the 6th sense does the rest for you by adjusting the time, temperature and humidity to ensure best cooking results is achieved.