The 14th of June is national strawberry shortcake day, so why not celebrate one of the nation’s most loved desserts with friends and family. With strawberry season upon us there are plenty of fresh ones to pick from. This cake is quick and easy to make and a real crowd pleaser.
Ingredients for the cake:
140 g Unsalted butter
420g Plain flour
100g Granulated suagr
1 Tbsp. Baking powder
1 Tsp. Baking soda
¼ Tsp. Salt
600ml Whipping cream
Ingredients for the filling:
400ml Whipping cream
1 Tbsps. Vanilla extract
- To make the shortcake, you need to pre heat the oven to 180’c and grease 3 cake tins with butter lightly. The tins need to be around 8 inch in diameter.
- Start by mixing the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together in a large bowl or food processer.
- Add in the butter, mix until the texture is crumb like.
- Pour in the cream, mixing until become moist, be careful not to over mix here.
- Transfer the mixture onto a lightly floured surface, gather into a ball and knead gently until smooth.
- Divide into equal parts and gently place 1 in each cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooked leave to cool for around 5 minutes then transfer onto cooling racks.
- To make the filling beat the whipping cream and vanilla extract in a mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Add in the sugar whilst mixing until the peaks become stiffer.
- Finely slice fresh strawberries in half or in quarters.
- Transfer one layer of cake onto a plate and top the layer of cake with a third of the strawberries and third of the whipped cream spreading evenly.
- Carefully place the second layer of the cake onto this and repeat. Place the final layer of cake on top of the whipped cream. Spread the final third of the whipped cream leaving around 1 inch around the edge and decorate with strawberries.
Why not check out the Bosch MFQ3030GB hand mixer for £34.99 to help you make the perfect strawberry shortcake, this lightweight mixer has 4 speed settings and is super silent.
Alternatively the Russell Hobbs 14451 hand mixer is a bargain buy at under £20.00, this mixer has 6 speed settings at the control of your fingertips.